Why Encourage Your Child to Read for Pleasure?
At Avanti Court Primary School we strongly promote reading for pleasure as we believe that promoting reading for pleasure can have a major impact on children and adults and their future. Reading for pleasure has a number of powerful benefits as it:
- Raises pupils reading and writing ability;
- Develops pupils understanding of comprehension and grammar;
- Builds vocabulary;
- Develops positive reading attitudes which last a life time;
- Builds greater self-confidence as a reader;
- Develops reading for pleasure in reading in later life;
- Increases general knowledge;
- Supports children to develop a better understanding of other cultures;
- Develops a greater insight into human nature and decision-making.
Evidence suggests that pupils who read more are also better readers. A large scale survey of over 18,000 young people found that those who reported enjoying reading very much were six times more likely than those who did not enjoy reading to read above the expected level for their age.
So, what are you waiting for? Pick up a book and read!