Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS)
At Avanti Brent School, our pupils’ first experiences of education will be enjoyable and engaging. We expect all members of the school community to work collaboratively, with high aspirations and expectations of everyone, consistent with our ethos.
There are two main aspects covered in Nursery and Reception phases. These are called Prime Areas of Learning (the most important building blocks of learning) and Specific Areas of Learning (focused on specific subject areas).
Prime Areas of Learning
- Communication & Language Development: involves giving children opportunities to experience a rich language environment; to develop confidence and skills in expressing themselves; and to speak and listen in a range of situations.
- Physical Development: involves providing opportunities for children to be active and interactive; to develop their coordination, control and movement; children taught to value and understand importance of physical activity as part of a healthy lifestyle, including food choices.
- Personal, Social & Emotional Development: involves helping children develop a positive sense of themselves and others; to form positive relationships with adults and children; respect for each other; develop social skills and learn how to manage their feelings; to understand appropriate behaviours in groups.
Specific Areas of Learning
- Literacy Development: linking sounds and letters to beginning to read and write. Phonics is a way of teaching children to read.
- Mathematics: developing skills in counting, understanding and using numbers, calculating using simple addition and subtraction problems; describe shapes, spaces and measurements.
- Understanding The World (Humanities & Sciences): guiding children to make sense of their world; explore, observe and find out about people, places, technology and the environment.
- Expressive Arts & Design: opportunities for sharing their thoughts, ideas and feelings through art, music, dance, roleplay, movement and design and technology.